What are the benefits of serving on a nonprofit board?
Most individuals who already serve on a nonprofit board need no outside justification for being a board member; they know perfectly well what they are doing and why they want to continue doing it. However, there are others who are too shy to join a board or who need someone else to tell them why it makes sense. Here are some reasons why people join nonprofit boards:
• They know their skills are needed.
• A nonprofit is going to improve and will benefit from their contributions.
• There is a possibility to effect change in an organization.
• They will feel good by doing good.
• They enjoy collaborating with interesting people who have the same interests and values.
• They want to learn new skills.
• They enjoy being recognized for their efforts.
• They want to give back to the community.
• They have found a new reason to live productively.
• They want to have an impact.
• It can be fun.